harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivan Volosyuk" <ivan.volos...@gmail.com>
Subject [DRLVM] one more gc
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 15:59:56 GMT
While some works going on to properly integrate DRLVM in harmony build system...

I would like to start development of new garbage collector. I know
about Weldon's work related to MMTk. I am not sure that it is the
right way.

Instead of doing GC based on java, I would concentrate on the one
written in C. I think that the VM written in C (or C++ ) should have
GC written the same way.

I have some experience in garbage collectors (stop-the-world ones for
now) and want to extend my knowledge in this area. That is one of the
reasons I want to make the GC, but do not port the existing one. I
hope I will eventually produce something which is better then existing
implementations or at least a few new ideas.

I would like to start implementing something similar to Train
algorithm, then possibly modify it in direction to Garbage First
collector. I want to create something with high performance and low
pauses.  At the beginning it will not even compile. I do not expect
this to be interesting to anyone for some time, but as Geir always
suggests I going to do this in public to avoid surprises.

All required VM functionality (for GC written in C) is already in
place. DRLVM's interfaces for GC is ok for me and should be quite
portable. Write barriers implementation is already in place, suitable
for C-based Gc: (Harmony-504 (me), Harmony-581 (Ming Wu)).

As I don't have commiter account, I going to create one JIRA and start
to fill it with patches. In the patches I will create directory
enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/gcx and will start to fill it with stubs and
implementation. I am going to do it mostly at spare time.

I hope this doesn't bother anyone. :)
--
Ivan
Intel Middleware Products Division