harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Harmony on QNX
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 08:45:02 GMT
On the 0x179 day of Apache Harmony Rodney Dowdall wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've been investigating the possible use of Harmony on QNX.  We would
> like to use it, along with the QNX j9 VM, to run our self-hosted
> Eclipse based tools.  I was looking through the code today and while
> it would be some work, I think the port should be relatively
> straightforward.  What I am afraid of is that I would get the port
> done only to find that it cannot run Eclipse. The statement that leads
> me to believe that Harmony isn't mature enough to run a full blown
> Eclipse is the following from the Harmony website:
>
> " This contribution is sufficient to run Ant and the Eclipse Java
> compiler, to provide a basic self-hosting environment. IBM also made a
> version of their J9 VM available
> <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/harmony> for use by the
> project in evaluating this contribution."
>
> I realize this is a fairly old statement, but I would just like to
> know if Harmony would be able to accomplish what I am hoping it can.

which version of Eclipse did you try?
does modern Eclipse (3.1.x) run on QNX at all?

they say:

"...But Eclipse has dropped support for QNX becauee QNX doesn't
support the Java engine that newer versions of Eclipse need."

http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=96011&cid=8234728

Actually, I did not run any single application on QNX, sorry :)