harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] logging from within our implementation
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 12:24:18 GMT
On the 0x17A day of Apache Harmony Alex Blewitt wrote:
> Moral 1: saying 'It's OK, debug logging can be turned off and
> log.debug(msg) is inexpensive' is a lie. If you really feel the need
> for sprinkling debug statements everywhere (and I'm with others in
> using a good IDE to track down problems) then surround every debug
> with if (log.debugEnabled()) { log.debug(msg) }. Yes, it has the same
> effect, but at least you don't bother wasting the calcuation of the
> message itself, and in this case, even a dozy JIT can optimise it
> away.

+1 for log.debugEnabled() :)

to optimize away log.debug(obj) JIT should perform devirtualization for
toString(), with escape analysis. That may turn out to be too
expensive. So, a reasonable JIT may optimize it some day, but not
always :)

BTW, highly optimizing JIT from the DRLVM contribution (=Jitrino.OPT)
does *not* perform escape analysis yet. That resides in TODO list :)

In fact, all-pure-java annotations may help to completely solve the
issue. There may be hints for JIT that it is safe to optimize some
code in a certain way. In release mode some pieces of code can be
annotated for deletion. Is it a good practice to support annotations
of that kind in Harmony JITs? Or is it a dirty hack? :)