harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Yang Paulex" <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] please review my regression test and patch for HttpURLConnection
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 10:41:55 GMT
2006/5/25, Yang Paulex <paulex.yang@gmail.com>:

> Hi, Mikhail,
>
> 2006/5/25, Mikhail Loenko <mloenko@gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi Paulex,
> >
> > 2006/5/25, Yang Paulex <paulex.yang@gmail.com>:
> > > Mikhail,
> > >
> > > Sorry to response so late, seems both IBM's smtp server and gmail is
> > not
> > > stable so that I have to send this mail several times from today
> > before
> > > yesterday (please pardon me if the mailing list get several duplicate
> > mails
> > > after hundreds of hours! ).
> > >
> > > Basically, I'm afraid I cannot agree with you on this patch.
> > >
> > > 1. I have no strong objection on the patch for HttpURLConnection,
> > but...If I
> > > understand correctly, Harmony-482 is about the internal contract
> > between
> > > java.net.HttpURLConnection.setRequestMethod () and
> > >
> > o.a.h.l.internal.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getOutputStream
> > (),
> >
> > Not exactly. The second problem is that the code makes assumption that
> > two String constant-pool constants in two different classes will be the
> > same
> > object. That is an assumption about VM that is met in J9 and RI.
> >
> > Other VMs might not have this kind of optimization and the code will not
> > work
> > on those VMs. I've fixed the code to not depend on that assumption.
>

> I accepts this reason, it will be better if the original codes use
> predefined constants instead of hard coded string.

I'm Sorry, I made a mistake here, the String's spec and Java Language Spec
has required the literal String as well as constant with String value must
be interned, please refer to String.intern()'s JavaDoc and JLS 3.10.5. So
the original code can work with any Java VM/Compiler.

Then I had to develop a test that would