harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [website] harmony-dev agreements and recommendations
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 13:44:15 GMT

> > 1) Try avoid "magic number" nor "magic strings" in code ( the constant
> name
> > by itself can be a good comment )
>
> That's a universal rule of programming, isn't it? :)

Yes, and I listed it after reading our sources :), E.g. see JIRA482 problem
or try to understand constants like java/util/jar/Attributes:87

I'm happy if you note these, but explain why, and lets not call them
> "the law", as I'm sure that there will be situations where people will
> need to violate...

Yes, these ones can be only recomendations and can't be rules, because the
most of them are performance related issues. E.g. nobody will file a bug
like 'this method is protected but can be private" but if you have a
thousands of such methods in API this will affect performance for a real
percents..

--
Mikhail Fursov
Intel Middleware Products Division