harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Zakharov, Vasily M" <vasily.m.zakha...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [classlib] JNDI provider's dependency on logging
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 12:40:56 GMT
Tim,

I see your point of removing extra inter-dependencies between the
modules,
however I'm surprized by the idea of removing dependencies on Logging.

Logging is a package specifically created to organize and structurize
logging and debugging output, and I see using it as a good side of
implementation
of any component, as it provides the capability of having rich and
detailed
debugging output that can be switched on and off using standard means.

Removing logging calls from Harmony components will make those
components
harder to debug and develop in future. Is it what we want?

Vasily Zakharov
Intel Middleware Products Division

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Ellison [mailto:t.p.ellison@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3:51 PM
To: harmony-dev
Subject: [classlib] JNDI provider's dependency on logging

I've just imported the HARMONY-256 contribution of a DNS provider for
JNDI into our repository.  That provider introduces a new dependency
between JNDI and LOGGING that we didn't have before.

IIRC we agreed that we would not scatter logging calls throughout our
implementation code, so unless I hear an objection I'll start to unpick
that dependency and make JNDI independent of LOGGING.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)