harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Elford, Chris L" <chris.l.elf...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [DRLVM] -- JVMTI support?
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 22:53:33 GMT
Thanks Gregory,

  I did mean CompiledMethodLoad.  Thanks for the explanation about the
state of JVMTI support in DRLVM and the caveat about -agentlib
defaulting to interpreted mode for some simple JVMTI support.

Adding -Dvm.use_interpreter=false did enabled the JIT for me [and the
corresponding events]... Starting up eclipse this way, I see 4695 class
loads and 16691 method JIT events.  364 of them are for secondary jits
[jitting the same method multiple times].

  I'll need to look at this a bit more closely.  Some of the
CompiledMethodLoad data for secondary jit events look a bit strange.  It
sounds like support is still early so this type of issue will likely be
resolved as the VM and JIT evolve?

For example, for
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.KeyedHashSet.getByKey(Ljava/lan
g/Object;)Lorg/eclipse/osgi/framework/internal/core/KeyedElement;

I see three CompiledMethodLoad events.

VA				Length		Time
0x0000000000D196C0 0x000000000000039A 05/12-15:25:21
0x000000000B2D6D10 0x000000000000021C 05/12-15:25:41
0x0000000000D196C0 0x000000000000039A 05/12-15:25:41

It looks like the method is jitted once then 20 seconds later it is
rejitted to a new address [and made smaller] then is immediately
rejitted back to its original location and size.

Thanks,

Chris Elford
Intel Middleware Products Division