harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Loenko" <mloe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] please review my regression test and patch for HttpURLConnection
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 09:42:02 GMT
Hi Paulex,

2006/5/25, Yang Paulex <paulex.yang@gmail.com>:
> Mikhail,
>
> Sorry to response so late, seems both IBM's smtp server and gmail is not
> stable so that I have to send this mail several times from today before
> yesterday (please pardon me if the mailing list get several duplicate mails
> after hundreds of hours! ).
>
> Basically, I'm afraid I cannot agree with you on this patch.
>
> 1. I have no strong objection on the patch for HttpURLConnection, but...If I
> understand correctly, Harmony-482 is about the internal contract between
> java.net.HttpURLConnection.setRequestMethod() and
> o.a.h.l.internal.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getOutputStream(),

Not exactly. The second problem is that the code makes assumption that
two String constant-pool constants in two different classes will be the same
object. That is an assumption about VM that is met in J9 and RI.

Other VMs might not have this kind of optimization and the code will not work
on those VMs. I've fixed the code to not depend on that assumption.

Then I had to develop a test that would
1. passes on RI
2. fails on unfixed Harmony
3. passes on fixed Harmony

The code you suggested below passes on unfixed Harmony, so
it is not a good regression test.

> and the internal contract may be broken only if some of the codes refactored
> (no chance for user application), say, modification for the
> setRequestMethod() like this:
>
> -               this.method = methodTokens[i];
> +                this.method = method;
>
> But this can be easily monitored by test codes below:
>
>   public void testGetOutputStream() throws Exception {
>       HttpURLConnection c = (HttpURLConnection) new
> URL("http://127.0.0.1:"<http://127.0.0.1/>
>               + port).openConnection();
>       c.setDoOutput(true);
>       c.setRequestMethod(new String("GET"));
>       c.getOutputStream();
>
>       ...//other for POST/PUT
>   }
>
> This test is enough to enforced the internal contract, it will shout if some
> refactory breaks the internal contract. So IMHO, I think the patch for
> HttpURLConnection is a little over-designed.
>
> 2. Even the patch is necessary, I think the introduction of injected
> java.net.HttpURLConnectionAccessor is debatable. I suggest to avoid the
> injected helper class as long as possible, because it introduces complexity
> to understand/manage and is sometimes fragile because it may highly coupled
> with implementation details. For this specific case, a mocked subclass of
> o.a.h....HttpURLConnection  with overridden getRequestMethod can be used
> instead.

I partially agree. If you suggest a test that would be easier to understand,
I'll be happy to replace the current one.

Thanks,
Mikhail