harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Loenko" <mloe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving forward with RMI and Math ( was Re: towards a new implementation of java.math)
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 05:50:55 GMT
> On 5/24/06, Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> >
> > 2006/5/24, Geir Magnusson Jr :
> > > I'd like to propose that we choose what we judge to be the best RMI
> > > implementation, and the best math implementation now so we can move
> > > forward, with the understanding that anyone interested can continue to
> > > work to merge the additional contributions into whatever was chosen.
> > +1
> >
> > I suggest that as a base we take RMI from Intel as it seems to be
> > interoperable
> > with RI and take Math from ITC as it reportedly has better performance.
>

> Hmm, I guess that 'base implementation' is implementation that locates in
> modules/rmi. Right?
yes

> But I resolved HARMONY-471 5 days ago and ITC implementation is now in
> modules/rmi folder. Do you suggest moving it to another folder?

We now have three RMI implementations:
rmi - 1.4 implementation from ITC
rmi2 - 1.5 implementation from ITC
rmi3 - implementation from Intel

As it was discussed in the mail list (please correct me if it is no
more the case)
the only implementation interoperable with RI is rmi3.

As a first step I suggest taking it as a base - move rmi to rmi4 or
whatever and
move rmi3 to rmi.

Thanks,
Mikhail