harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Loenko" <mloe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Layout of tests in crypto module
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 07:32:25 GMT
Hi George, see below

2006/5/16, George Harley <george.c.harley@googlemail.com>:
> Hi Mikhail,
>
> I have a couple of minor comments about your proposal for a test
> layouts. I should have responded sooner, I know, but I have suffered
> from a number of hardware problems in the past few weeks that slowed
> things down somewhat for me. Anyway, it's all great but it would be nice
> to get answers to the following ...
>
> 1) The section on "Location of the tests in the directory tree"
> proposes <modulename>/src/tests/impl for Harmony specific tests and
> <modulename>/src/tests/api for implementation-independent tests. Where
> would tests go for Harmony API's that are not part of the J2SE spec but
> are still accessible ? Strictly speaking they are API as well as being
> specific to Harmony.

The main idea is to separate tests that must pass on any conformant
implementation from the tests passing on Harmony only.

When these are separated we can e.g. easily validate "implementation-
independent" tests by running them against RI. Actually I would not like to
start an endless "philosophical" discussion here about what are
unit vs. api vs. whatever tests.

"api" is just a name (suggested by Tim) and might be changed to any
unconfusing one.

So, back to your question, those must go to 'impl' as far as they fail on RI:
"<modulename>/src/tests/impl - Harmony specific tests"

> What about the location of tests designed to run on
> the classpath and tests designed to run on the bootclasspath ? That does
> not seem to be addressed in this section. When the tests are run how are

Directory defines the root of the test suite, then the package goes,
see "Package names for different types of the tests" section:
"If the test is designed to be run from bootclasspath then its package
is the same as the package of the class under test"

> the "bootclasspath" and "classpath" tests distinguished ? Purely on
> package name ? Did you ever see the append I wrote to the list a couple
> of weeks ago on this topic ? [1]

Yes, I've seen it. As you could notice we had more test categories.
They are described in the same thread. We might have
"independent" tests running from bootclasspath and "specific" ones
running from classpath.

> 2) Still in the "Location of the tests in the directory tree" section,
> shouldn't the suggested source folder names include "java" in there ?
> e.g. <modulename>/src/tests/java/api ? What is wrong with the
> src/test/java (below here is Java code), src/test/resources (below here
> is non-code test artefacts) convention ? I notice that at present the
> page does not include any mention of where test resources would go.

Yes, you are right. It's missing.

It was supposed to be under test "type", like:
module/src/test/api/java
module/src/test/api/resources

> 3) What does the sentence "Tests are not separated by functionality
> under test, e.g. tests against clone() methods are not separated from
> tests against equals() methods" actually mean ?

That was to address Tim's concern:
"  > 1. Tests are separated on directory level by 'intention'

I agree where the intention is broad (i.e. functional tests vs.
performance tests vs. stress tests) but I'm not convinced that we need
to separate to a precise 'intent', at least I've never been in a
position where I've wished that my my serialization tests are separate
from my cloning tests or whatever."

Feel free to reword if something is not clear in the proposal

Thanks,
Mikhail