harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Magnusson, Geir" <geir.magnus...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [classlib] jetty based tests
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 13:13:36 GMT

Right - my confusion was about not wanting to find an available port due
to some overhead that you discern.

> Sorry - I'm just confused.
> >
> > (I think that the port should be pre defined (well-known)
> have a default
> > value, and be overridable in a properties/-ish file.
>

> What's the problem if the port is selected automatically?

Repeatability.  IMO, there should be no random elements in our testing.
That leads to frustration, fear, despair, pathos, pain, agony, angst and
much pulling of limited resources, like hair, in my case.

> If I understand correctly, it means Jetty selects a free port
> from system,
> and provides an API method (e.g. getJettyPort()) to get the
> selected port.
> In this way,  listen port confliction issue could be
> completely avoided.

Only once in my life have I seen a server randomly choose a port to
listen on, and I quickly took that engineer off networking projects for
a while :)

Geir