harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Weimer ...@deneb.enyo.de>
Subject Re: So today Sun announced...
Date Wed, 17 May 2006 16:25:45 GMT
* Geir Magnusson, Jr.:

> First, they announced some kind of distribution-like agreement with
> Ubuntu, so that any Debian-based distro can easily install Java.  It
> wasn't clear if they really are going to distribute Ubuntu w/ Java or
> just make it easy to install via apt.

Currently, it seems that Java is available from debian.org servers.  I
don't know about Ubuntu.

(Note that Sun's Debian installation instructions are wrong: You still
have to fiddle with /etc/apt/sources.list after the installation.
This is no surprise because the installer does not include non-free by
default.)

> I guess it's a new license for their binaries.  This is good news -
> one of the motivations of Harmony was to help make Java a
> first-class citizen on Linux, and this is a solid step in that
> direction.

It's still a very strange license with a lot of oddities.  For
example, it does not allow end users to use Debian's versions for
cross-platform development.  The JPackage folks have an interesting
discussion, and I expect that the discussion (flaming?) on Debian's
mailing lists will begin once the list server is back up.