harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Weimer ...@deneb.enyo.de>
Subject Re: So today Sun announced...
Date Wed, 17 May 2006 18:11:43 GMT
* Fernando Cassia:

> On 5/17/06, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
>>

>> It's still a very strange license with a lot of oddities.  For
>> example, it does not allow end users to use Debian's versions for
>> cross-platform development.
>

> Do you -or anyone else besides lawyers on crack living in their private
> little bubble- really think anyone out there REALLY gives a  ***** about the
> wording of the end-user license??.  Most end-users I know click "ok" or
> press [enter] faster than an eye can blink.

I used "end users" in the Debian sense, which also includes developers
(and not just Debian maintainers or mirror operators).  Developers do
care about licenses, I hope.

> Plus, If I create java bytecode with it and distribute it, what proof is
> there -in the bytecode- about if I used version "x" or "y" ???

If the byte code was, at the time of the alleged creation, only
generated by Sun's compiler (and none of the alternatives), this might
be sufficient to shift the burden of proof.

>  The JPackage folks have an interesting
>> discussion, and I expect that the discussion (flaming?) on Debian's
>> mailing lists will begin once the list server is back up.
>>
>> Waste of time...

If licenses are irrelevant, the Harmony project is a waste of time as
well.