harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrey Chernyshev" <a.y.chernys...@gmail.com>
Subject [OPEN] what to start with? (was Re: OPEN Specification)
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 16:17:32 GMT

> Etienne Gagnon wrote:
> > Hi Anton,
> >
> > Are you proposing that all Harmony JVMs must abide by the OPEN proposal?
>
> I won't attempt to speak for Anton, but IMO, "no".
>
> Right now, any JVM that works w/ Harmony classlib must simply support
> the class library's virtual machine interface.

Let's think of the proposed OPEN spec as a starting point for the
discussions about the modular JVM concept, I guess nobody assumed
every JVM must abide by it. However, those VM's which are OPEN
compliant would probably benefit at some point from the ability to
share the components between each other.

> >  If yes, I think that some process has to be put in place to present and
> > discuss each of this proposal's part, and dedicate time to do so.  IMO,
> > I don't think that everyone (in the JVM sub-communityof Harmony) can
> > simply read through this proposal and be able to make an enlightened
> > decision about it.  I think that each point would gain much from being
> > presented along the motivation behind it.
>
> Yes, I think that we'll need lots of discussion around this proposal.

One possible approach to the discussion process could be to pick up
some simple part of VM (how about class loader?), and then try to
compare the existing interface for that part in DRLVM and SableVM.
>From this comparison we could build up a first OPEN interface for this
part, and then extend it to some bigger component, then go to other
parts, consider other VM's e.t.c. until we get the whole picture. How
does that approach sound?

BTW, does SableVM assume some component/pluggability model around it?
It would be interesting to see how far is it from the proposed OPEN
concepts, what works in the OPEN specifically for SableVM and what
doesn't, e.t.c.

Thank you,
Andrey Chernyshev
Intel Middleware Products Division