harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Blewitt" <alex.blew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Intention to work on Pack200 uncompressor/compressor
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 11:27:39 GMT

> The license I get to by following the URL above states (amongst other
> things):
>
> "This license includes the right to discuss the Specification (including
> the right to provide limited excerpts of text to the extent relevant to
> the point[s] under discussion) with other licensees (under this or a
> substantially similar version of this Agreement) of the Specification.
> Other than this limited license, you acquire no right, title or interest
> in or to the Specification or any other Sun intellectual property, and
> the Specification may only be used in accordance with the license terms
> set forth herein."
>
> IANAL but that doesn't appear to give us rights to implement the spec
> via that source?  What am I missing?

I wasn't sure about that either (which is why I posted the URL).
However, I can't find any other specification for the pack200 other
than this one -- and the JavaDoc for Pack200 pointed me in this
direction in the first place:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/jar/Pack200.html

"Transforms a JAR file to or from a packed stream in Pack200 format.
Please refer to Network Trasfer Format JSR 200 Specification at
http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr200/index.html"

Does this mean that we can't implement Pack200 by this specification,
and if so, does that prevent a complete Java 1.5 library from being
built? Or does it mean that I can't implement it from this
specification, but I can discuss how to build a pack200 compliant
algorithm for others to work from?

Alex.