harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM] build process improvement
Date Thu, 18 May 2006 16:49:36 GMT
Hi,
  This is why I had asked the question of VM binary layout compatibility on
the "Single Module" thread. ( no link ) :-) What Oliver is saying sounds
reasonable to me. Please see below..

>On 5/18/06, Oliver Deakin <oliver.deakin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> >>Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
> >> Well, may be I'm missing some simple points here, but...
> >> Is there any specific reason not to bundle a "Harmony VM" (let's
> >> forget about DRLVM for now) into the HDK? Is this just a matter of
> >> choice between SableVM, drlvm, e.t.c.?
> >> I just thought it could be convenient for developers (as well as for
> >> Harmony users) to take a complete workable JRE without an additional
> >> need to combine something together.
>
> >I agree it would be useful to have a complete jre available, but I
> >wasn't sure
> >how we would pick the VM to use when we potentially have 3/4 VMs
> >(if DRLVM is accepted, and once the classlib adapter is completed)
> >capable of
> >running with Harmony classlib.

  It seems likely that at some point, we will have to converge on the
concept of  full Harmony releases/distros( CLasslib + VM ) that we will be
able to test, stress test, perf analyse and support( field bugs on )
regularly. This will probably require us to pick and bundle a VM of choice
with our class libraries.

>Perhaps we could just produce a jre for each VM once they are up and
> >working?
> >I just thought that if we had separate classlib and a VM jre's which
> >both contained
> >a predefined and matching directory structure, then the step of
> >unpacking them
> i>nto the same directory to get them working is fairly straightforward.
>
> This uniformity in binary layout required of the VM's sounds sensible.
This way, whatever default VM we roll out the distros with, any
user/developer would be able to overlay the classlib jdk/jre bits with the
VM bits of choice, which may not be the defaultone packaged. We may also
organize the distros ( full Harmony, Harmony classlibs, VM1, VM2 etc. ) to
enable this.

Thanks,
Rana