harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: [DRLVM] proposal to port MMTK to drlvm
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 18:25:33 GMT
oops, I forgot to cc:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Weldon Washburn <weldonwjw@gmail.com>
Date: May 24, 2006 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: [DRLVM] proposal to port MMTK to drlvm
To: danielf@cs.unm.edu

On 5/24/06, Daniel Feinberg <csdread@gmail.com> wrote:
> that is cool, so the other thing i was thinking about is that MMTK is
> written for JikesRVM which is a meta-circular java implementation. AKA
> it is written in java with some magic for the low level mem stuff. I
> am not sure how that would integrate into Harmoney and the DRLVM. I
> dont think it would be hard to port it to another language or we could
> write some sort of interface to bridge the two. Not sure what are your
> ideas?

hmm.... somewhere I heard that MMTK had been ported to Microsoft
Rotor.  I know Rotor is a vm written in C/C++.  If this port is under
an Apache agreeable license, then we could look at this code.  If no
MMTK-to-C interface that is compatible with Apache license exists
then, of course, we will need to build one.  My preference would be to
keep it the interface combinations to C and Java.  I would rather not
bog down MMTK/HarmonyDRLVM with any C++ distractions initially.  I
think the initial focus is functionality, cleaning up the C interface,
then performance.