harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Avtamonov" <anton.avtamo...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib] java.io.File doesn't work with non-latin names
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 13:31:34 GMT
Hi,

I just faced the problem that java.io.File doesn't properly work with
the file names which has non-latin chars (I tried Russian, of course
:-) ) on Windows.

The minimal code to reproduce is:
        File russianDir = new File("c:\\temp\\\u0440\u0443\u0441_dir");
        russianDir.mkdirs();
        System.out.println("isCreated = " + russianDir.isDirectory());

which prints out "false".

The very important thing here is that Control Panel > Regional And
Language Options > Regional Options tab > "Standards and formats"
setting is set to "English US". All other regional settings (location,
language for non-unicode programs) are set to Russian. If I switch
"Standards and formats" to Russian everything works fine.
Similar problem with other extended unicode chars.

I looked through both mailing list and JIRA and found lots
encoding-related issues, but not sure if my case is covered or not.

Could the experts please look and decide should I submit new JIRA
issue or not? If it is already tracked could you please point out its
JIRA index?

Wishes,
--
Anton Avtamonov,