harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] logging from within our implementation
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 03:56:32 GMT

Anton Luht wrote:
> It is possible to remove all calls to logging below a certain level
> from .class files using BCEL:
> http://surguy.net/articles/removing-log-messages.xml . In this example
> logging is removed on fly when class is loaded, but this tool can be
> run against class files in the process of building release version.
> For example, debug version can contain all logging and release - only
> errors. This approach has one disadvantage: it is non-standard and
> looks like a dirty hack :)

Yah.  I'd rather see us add the logging this way rather than removing
it, using annotations or aspects or something... I'll try to experiment
with this tomorrow.

I really hate discussing logging.  It's impossible to have a short
conversation where everyone agrees.  Yoko, the CORBA project in the
incubator, is going through a very similar issue...

geir