harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] logging from within our implementation
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 10:32:02 GMT

Alex Blewitt wrote:

> They removed the debugging statements, and it ran so fast that they
> discovered all kinds of race conditions that they hadn't designed for.
> So they had to put the debugging statements back in to slow it down
> before shipping it to the customer :-) Mind you, I expect that
> marketing would have jumped on the bandwaggon with 2.0! Much faster
> than 1.0! but I didn't hang around long enough there to find out :-)

I ran into this same exact problem years ago working on one of the first
multi-processor direct-to-disk digital audio recording/editing systems.
  We inherited the halfway done OS from someone and our job was to
finish it.

It worked ok but had a lot of yammering to the console, so we knocked
out all the debug printfs.

It stopped working. (There is no "close enough" when feeding audio to a
D/A... if you are late, you are late and you can hear it...)

There were two of us doing it as a consulting project, and I can to this
day remember the look of utter fear in my partner's eyes as we had about
3 weeks left to the biggest tradeshow of the year.

We eventually got it working, but it was a very valuable and painful lesson.

geir