harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] millions of rmi tests
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 09:53:45 GMT

Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> 2006/5/30, Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@pobox.com>:
>>

>> Mikhail Loenko wrote:

>> > It seems that instead of those million test cases we need just a few
>> > that would verify that getXXX() methods return what was passed into
>> > constructor
>> > plus possibly some tests that pass 'suspicious' parameters like null.
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>>
>> I don't agree that would be enough - having tests that assualt the CTORs
>> w/ combinations of crap to see what happens isn't a bad thing.  Not a
>> fun thing to write, but certainly not something I vote on throwing away
>> if someone wrote it already.
>
> They were not written, they were generated. And I suspect that if we change
> some options to test generator then it can generate as many tests as you
> have
> free space on your hard drive. Do we need them all in the test suite?
>
> My question is given that so far we had ~7500 tests against all the API do
> we need 5000+ tests against a single trivial constructor?

Are there really 5000+ tests against *one* CTOR?

>> Why do you see a problem?
>
> The problem is test execution time.

Then pitch what you think isn't needed.  <shrug>  Any other thoughts?

>> I think that it's misleading to trust only that getters return what's
>> passed in...
>
> Sorry, I did not catch

I mean that you had suggested that we'd be ok by testing to see if
getters (getXxxx()) returned what was passed into a CTOR correctly, and
I thought that wasn't a safe assumption.

geir