harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] internationalization
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 09:32:40 GMT
Mikhail Loenko wrote:
>> > We also agreed to put only internationalized messages and
>> > to have a single catalog by module.
>>
>> Yep, that's a good task for somebody who is looking for a simple way to
>> contribute to Harmony's classlibs.
>>
>> If anyone wants to volunteer then go for it -- I can help with guidance
>> if required.
>>
>> > Is there any way to meet all the agreements without rewriting the
>> > internationalization framework?
>>
>> I don't think we need to change the mechanism we use to get message
>> strings from resource catalogs, just split the single catalog up across
>> the modules.
>
> So we are splitting messages across the modules and than unite them back
> at build time, correct?

Sorry for causing confusion, I was being too brief.

I meant that the mechanism we currently have in LUNI (i.e. a resource
file of externalized strings and a helper class like Msg to load the
string and format it etc.) can be duplicated in each module that has
externalized strings e.g. for exception messages.  Of course, each
module would only have its own messages.

In this case the code is quite trivial so I don't see a big problem with
duplication.  At runtime, each module is a self-contained JAR with it's
o.a.h.<foo>.internal.Msg and string catalog in the JAR file.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)