harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] logging from within our implementation
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 18:22:03 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Seems like there is an important issue here, but the discussion can't
> seem to escape out of the thicket of the example.
>
> 1) Should we allow any logging from within the classlibrary?

Just in case there was any doubt from my earlier postings...

I think we should not be explicitly logging debug info as part of our
class library implementation.

> 2) How should we do it?
>
> There are a bunch of ways for the second question...  using j.u.l, using
>  IOC and injecting our own logging target to reduce dependencies and
> make people think before logging, using aspects?

Both j.u.l and IoC would require code in the implementation to perform
the logging actions (or check the guard).  Putting this logic throughout
the class library will IMHO result in module coupling, code bloat and
overall performance degradation (or no logging!).

Adding logging statements is expecting the class library developer to
decide /a priori/ what debug|trace info is useful to the person trying
to resolve a problem.  Existing debug|trace tools work with the runtime
to figure out the pertinent information as you are interested in it.
(The only caveat being 'flight data recorder' type trace where the trace
points are typically very low overhead and always on).

> Comments?  We probably should try to get to a conclusion in general...

The logging info being proposed is developer-oriented.  I hope that
people are not expecting our users to understand our developer trace
info -- we, as developers, have better tools than printf to figure out
what is happening.

Regards,
Tim

--