harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] JNDI provider's dependency on logging
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 14:00:17 GMT
Alexei Zakharov wrote:
> This provider includes full-featured DNS client as part of its
> functionality and has rather complex logic. It tries to establish big
> number of networks connections and highly depends on network
> conditions.  In the case of perfomance degradation it is very usefull
> for system admins to understand the provider's activity. If the
> provider hangs while connecting to some unreachable server it is
> important that the name of such server can be extracted from the log
> and added to the server's black list. And so on.
> In other words, DNS provider needs to log no less than any other
> complex network application.

I agree with your last sentence.  There are lots of modules in Harmony
now that contain non-trivial logic, and we can debug, trace, and
understand that code using existing tools.

For this provider I don't think it is useful to have calls out to
java.util.logging.  We have much more flexibility if we are conservative
about the modules we use to implement a given area of functionality.

e.g. from DNSName.java:
  try {
    k = this.compareTo(name);
  } catch (ClassCastException e) {
    // impossible case
    ProviderMgr.logger.log(Level.SEVERE, "impossible case", e);
  }

Regards,
Tim

--