harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Harmony on QNX
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 11:52:42 GMT
The safest thing to do first I think is to build Harmony on
windows/linux and try it to see if it is usable for you.  It has been a
while since I tried the Eclipse test suites to see how complete we are
(it is certainly usable on a day-to-day basis).

If you are then interested to run Harmony code on QNX we can discuss how
to do that.

Regards,
Tim

Rodney Dowdall wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've been investigating the possible use of Harmony on QNX.  We would
> like to use it, along with the QNX j9 VM, to run our self-hosted Eclipse
> based tools.  I was looking through the code today and while it would be
> some work, I think the port should be relatively straightforward.  What
> I am afraid of is that I would get the port done only to find that it
> cannot run Eclipse. The statement that leads me to believe that Harmony
> isn't mature enough to run a full blown Eclipse is the following from
> the Harmony website:
>
> " This contribution is sufficient to run Ant and the Eclipse Java
> compiler, to provide a basic self-hosting environment. IBM also made a
> version of their J9 VM available
> <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/harmony> for use by the
> project in evaluating this contribution."
>
> I realize this is a fairly old statement, but I would just like to know
> if Harmony would be able to accomplish what I am hoping it can.
>
> Thanks,
> Rodney

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.