harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Intention to work on Pack200 uncompressor/compressor
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 12:35:41 GMT

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

>>> I shall give you a warm welcome for implementation of Pach200! :)  But
>>> as I know few about the legality, I wonder it is legal for us(Harmony
>>> developers) to read such algorithm directly from jcp.org? Can anyone
>>> give an answer? Let's go ahead if there's no obstacle.
>> What?  If we implement a spec from the JCP, we get the TCK and pass it.
>>  That's it.
>
> The license I get to by following the URL above states (amongst other
> things):
>
> "This license includes the right to discuss the Specification (including
> the right to provide limited excerpts of text to the extent relevant to
> the point[s] under discussion) with other licensees (under this or a
> substantially similar version of this Agreement) of the Specification.
> Other than this limited license, you acquire no right, title or interest
> in or to the Specification or any other Sun intellectual property, and
> the Specification may only be used in accordance with the license terms
> set forth herein."
>

> IANAL but that doesn't appear to give us rights to implement the spec
> via that source?  What am I missing?

Alex gave us the link to the Proposed Final Draft, which isn't licensed
for implementation, not the final spec itself.

That can be found here

http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr200/index.html

and is under the usual spec license (which I can probably repeat by
heart at this point).

My question though is not about this, but if it's part of the Java SE 5
spec and therefore would be tested w/ the Java SE 5 TCK.  I guess I can
go dig into the documentation around JSE 5.

I'm guessing not, and therefore we'll need the standalone TCK for JSR 200.

geir