harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Multi-tree HDK config - working directory ( was Re: Supporting working on a single module?)
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 15:50:11 GMT

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Vladimir Gorr wrote:
>
>> whether does it mean the HDK will contain the sources (src.zip?) as
>> well?
>> Otherwise I don't understand what can be modified. Could you please
>> clarify
>> this?
>>

> I know you addressed to oliver, but let me take a wack at it to see if
> I grok everything....
>
> One of the many motivations for the HDK idea was a refactoring of the
> natives into modules, which brought up the interdependency issue.  To
> solve, the idea is top copy natives headers at build time into One Big
> Pile.

 From the work Im currently doing on attempting to move the
native-src/*/include directory
contents into their appropriate modules, using the modularised natives
layout I
described previously [1], the "One Big Pile" actually doesnt look that
bad - for the classlib
there are actually only 13 header files that need to be shared between
modules, and we
might be able to reduce these with extra work.

> So if you are in module foo, and working on something that modified
> foo.h, foo.h will be copied at build from module foo into One Big
> Pile, thereby overwriting the HDK's copy of foo.h, since the HDK and
> One Big Pile are conflated in the current model.

foo.h will only be copied into the include area of the HDK if it is
required by other
modules. If it is only used by the natives in that module, it will stay
where it is.

> I don't like this, because as I am a forgetful person, I may point
> another project/module at the HDK, and now will be tormented by
> strange things happening because the foo.h has been changed...
>
> That's why I've been suggesting a model (just for everyone's sanity,
> including people posting questions to the dev list), where the HDK is
> never modified, and there's a "working" area in the individual project
> tree where HDK + ThingsBeingWorkedOn are intermingled for the build
> process local to that individual project.

Isnt that just overwriting a copy of the HDK instead of the original?
What is the
original HDK being used for then?

Regards,
Oliver