harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Supporting working on a single module?
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 13:50:48 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Oliver Deakin wrote:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>> On thing to think about (which I didn't realize until now) is that
>>> HDK should sit above /classlib in the tree right?  the VMs will need
>>> it as well.  I imagine :
>>>
>>> enhanced/
>>>     classlib/
>>>     drlvm/
>>>     jchevm/
>>>     bootvm/
>>>
>>> So maybe add a
>>>
>>>    enhanced/common
>>>
>>> directory in which the HDK sits by default?
>>>
>>> I'd like to avoid the structural balkanization of making classlib an
>>> island.
>>
>> I had imagined that HDKs would be packaged up as zips and made available
>> in a similar way to snapshots, rather than having a tree of binaries
>> checked into
>> SVN.
>
> I think we all did.  I don't know what about the above leads you to
> assume I would have wanted this in SVN.

I think I'm just easily confused ;)
So are you suggesting that the HDK should sit in a concrete location
relative to whichever component (VM/classlib) we are working on, or
that the HDK zips should be stored in SVN? (or something else...?)

>> IMHO keeping it as a zip makes unpacking it where you want very simple,
>> allows you to easily keep a "known good" HDK configuration locally
>> (in the
>> form of the original zip) and makes it very easy to get previous
>> versions of
>> the HDK (just download an earlier zip).
>> I'd be interested to hear what general consensus on this matter is, and
>> how mailing list members would prefer the HDK to be provided.
>
> Keeping zips around and all that is great, but is it that Eclipse
> would break having it up and above the root of the project tree?

I dont see this as a problem.
If you use the Ant scripts to build (which can be used within Eclipse),
then
an hy.hdk property (described in one of my other mails in this thread) that
can be set to point at an HDK will enable you to use any location.
If you wanted to work on Java code as a Java project under Eclipse,
then you should only have to point Eclipse at the jre under your HDK
and Eclipse will build against it.

Regards,
Oliver

> geir
>

>> We discussed [1] that having separate HDKs for each VM and for classlib
>> makes sense - as long as we keep them in a uniform shape, then they
>> can easily
>> overlaid onto each other to allow a developer to work on the classlib
>> and the
>> VM of their choice.
>> I don't see this separation of classlib and VMs as a bad thing. I
>> think that
>> having a VMI enabling us to develop the classlib and VMs as distinct
>> units,
>> and developing using potentially disparate methods and build systems
>> that
>> most suit that component, is one of the cool things about Harmony!
>

>> Regards,
>> Oliver
>>
>> [1]
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200605.mbox/%3c446D8460.9050105@googlemail.com%3e