harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Supporting working on a single module?
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 09:48:15 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> On thing to think about (which I didn't realize until now) is that HDK
> should sit above /classlib in the tree right?  the VMs will need it as
> well.  I imagine :
>
> enhanced/
>     classlib/
>     drlvm/
>     jchevm/
>     bootvm/
>
> So maybe add a
>
>    enhanced/common
>
> directory in which the HDK sits by default?
>
> I'd like to avoid the structural balkanization of making classlib an
> island.

I had imagined that HDKs would be packaged up as zips and made available
in a similar way to snapshots, rather than having a tree of binaries
checked into
SVN. IMHO keeping it as a zip makes unpacking it where you want very simple,
allows you to easily keep a "known good" HDK configuration locally (in the
form of the original zip) and makes it very easy to get previous versions of
the HDK (just download an earlier zip).
I'd be interested to hear what general consensus on this matter is, and
how mailing list members would prefer the HDK to be provided.

We discussed [1] that having separate HDKs for each VM and for classlib
makes sense - as long as we keep them in a uniform shape, then they can
easily
overlaid onto each other to allow a developer to work on the classlib
and the
VM of their choice.
I don't see this separation of classlib and VMs as a bad thing. I think that
having a VMI enabling us to develop the classlib and VMs as distinct units,
and developing using potentially disparate methods and build systems that
most suit that component, is one of the cool things about Harmony!

Regards,
Oliver

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200605.mbox/%3c446D8460.9050105@googlemail.com%3e

> geir
>
> Oliver Deakin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have opened HARMONY-485, which proposes an additional doc for the
>> website describing the HDK and its contents.
>> The layout of the HDK described in the doc matches that produced by
>> the build script alterations raised in
>> HARMONY-469.
>>
>> I hope that eventually (once the natives are modularised
>> and build scripts are altered to understand/use the HDK) the doc will
>> expand into a more full description of how developers can use the HDK
>> to rebuild Java/native code.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Oliver

Oliver Deakin