harmony-dev mailing list archives

From George Harley <george.c.har...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] jetty based tests
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 10:28:42 GMT
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> Hi George, Tim
>
> I'd like to clarify the following questions:
> 1) Configuring
> As I understood we say that the server is 'embedded' when we can
> start/stop
> it within Ant without additional configuration steps. And all we need
> to do
> is just download required jars. Right?
>
> What about Eclipse users?

Hi Stepan,

In addition to be being start-able, stop-able and configurable from Ant
and XML config files, Jetty can also be embedded into the Java code of a
test case or test suite. Configuration, starting and stopping are all
possible. Eclipse users should not be disadvantaged.

> 2) Time to run test suite
> May be it is hard to estimate but anyway - will the test suite run
> slow down
> if we'll use jetty instead of mock objects? How much?

Depends on configuration. Configure and start the server in the setup()
of a JUnit TesCase (and stopping the server in the teardown()) would
obviously be slower than doing the equivalent in a JUnit TestSetup
descendent. Start up is a lot less than half a second on my machine.

Is there some performance benchmark for tests that is at risk here ?

> 3) Testing
> Quoting Tim from 'local server thread': "There is no way to force a
> server
> to send you a chunked response using regular HTTP headers, so in this
> case
> the server and client have an understanding that when the client asks
> for a
> particular resource the server will send it back in chunks."
>
> With mock objects this can be done with no problems and HARMONY-164
> demonstrates the possible way. Also are we going to create negative
> tests,
> for example, for broken server response? I think yes. Can jetty server be
> used for negative testing?

Yes. You can send back any error.

> See other comments below
>
> On 5/22/06, George Harley wrote:
>>
>> Stepan Mishura wrote:

>> > Because each external dependency complicates 'normal' test suite
>> run ( I
>> > don't want to face with situation when to run Harmony test suite I
>> > have to
>> > configure and run 20 different external servers even they are easy
>> > configurable). As far as I remember we agreed to use mock objects - so
>> > let's
>> > use them! For example, in this case there is no need in jetty server.
>> >
>> > I'm not against 'jetty based tests' but I'd prefer to separate such
>> > tests.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Stepan.
>> >

>> Hi Stepan,
>>
>> Just seen this note and think that my previous append on the "Re: svn
>> commit: r407752" thread sums up my thoughts. Allow me to quote myself:
>>
>> <paste>
>> Jetty or equivalent is a good basis for such local server stubs. It is
>> fast, it is lightweight,
>

> Fast and lightweight as what?
> I saw sometimes ago java server that has jar size 4k. And
> jetty-6.0.0beta6.jar is 423k size.

Not sure of your point here. Is there some test file footprint benchmark
that is at risk here ? If there is a better, faster, more lightweight
server that would suit our purposes then let's hear about it so that we
can investigate whether or not it may be used with our network tests.

>> it can be started and stopped very simply from
>> within Ant (so that it only runs for the duration of a specified batch
>> of unit tests) and may also be completely controlled from Java test code
>> so that we can configure its behaviour for any test case from within
>> that test case.
>

> Good.
>
> It's architecture means that we do not have to run it as
>> a complete web server but can stub out any aspect of its runtime
>> behaviour we wish in order to suit the purposes of the test(s).
>

> What about 'chunked response'? Can a testcase force jetty server to
> send it
> a chunked response?

Yes. The API provides options to do this. Chunks are encoded as per
RFC2616.

Best regards,
George