harmony-dev mailing list archives

From George Harley <george.c.har...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] jetty based tests
Date Mon, 22 May 2006 12:21:51 GMT
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> On 5/19/06, Tim Ellison wrote:
>>
>> Stepan Mishura wrote:
>> <snip>
>> > I'm OK only if we separate tests with Jetty from common test suite
>> run.
>>
>> Why?
>

> Because each external dependency complicates 'normal' test suite run ( I
> don't want to face with situation when to run Harmony test suite I
> have to
> configure and run 20 different external servers even they are easy
> configurable). As far as I remember we agreed to use mock objects - so
> let's
> use them! For example, in this case there is no need in jetty server.
>
> I'm not against 'jetty based tests' but I'd prefer to separate such
> tests.
>
> Thanks,
> Stepan.

Hi Stepan,

Just seen this note and think that my previous append on the "Re: svn
commit: r407752" thread sums up my thoughts. Allow me to quote myself:

<paste>
Jetty or equivalent is a good basis for such local server stubs. It is
fast, it is lightweight, it can be started and stopped very simply from
within Ant (so that it only runs for the duration of a specified batch
of unit tests) and may also be completely controlled from Java test code
so that we can configure its behaviour for any test case from within
that test case. It's architecture means that we do not have to run it as
a complete web server but can stub out any aspect of its runtime
behaviour we wish in order to suit the purposes of the test(s).

I don't really understand why such network tests making use of a small,
embedded server running locally would need to be considered as outside
of the "normal test flow".
</paste>

We are not talking about an external server here and we are not talking
about developers having to carry out complex configuration manoeuvres
when running the tests. That is something that nobody wants. The
motivation here is purely to get more of the java.net tests out of the
"excludes" sin bin.

Best regards,
George