harmony-dev mailing list archives

From George Harley <george.c.har...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r407752 - in /incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/luni/src: main/java/org/apache/harmony/luni/internal/net/www/protocol/http/HttpURLConnection.java
Date Fri, 19 May 2006 11:48:44 GMT
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> see below
>
> On 5/19/06, George Harley wrote:
>
>> Hi Stepan,
>>
>> Yes, there is probably scope for adding some logic to this test method
>> where - in the event of no network connection we write a message to
>> stderr and move on. An alternative is to provide for connections to be
>> opened up against a server on the local machine. A couple of days ago I
>> spent some time adding the small, lightweight (and Apache licensed)
>> Jetty server to the LUNI tests. In my local sandbox the LUNI
>> make/build.xml file the run.tests target was updated to start up Jetty
>> --> run the LUNI tests --> stop Jetty. It worked fine apart from a
>> glitch I had getting the cgi-bin to work properly in Jetty. Apparently
>> this is a fairly common problem when it is used on Windows. I'm starting
>> to feel that it might be best to exclude the one or two cgi-bin related
>> tests in the LUNI tests for now in the interests of bringing Jetty on
>> board. It would certainly help get some more java.net tests up and
>> running and enable this particular test case to run without the need for
>> a network connection. What do you think ?
>

> I think that we should try to develop small local test server that just
> opens connection and optionally send/receive test message. There is a
> prototype of such test server (see HARMONY-167) and but I didn't
> integrate
> it with tests yet.
>

>> I would, of course, float the Jetty proposal on the dev list first to
>> make sure we were all happy with the suggestion :-)
>

> I'm OK only if we separate tests with Jetty from common test suite run.
>
> Thanks,
> Stepan.

Hi Stepan,

Is your preference to separate out all "remote server dependent" tests
(that could be made work with a locally installed server) from the
normal test flow ? For instance, have them run in a separate junit batch
that was dependent on an Ant property value (e.g. run.net.tests) ?
Another possibility is to invoke the tests under discussion via a JUnit
TestSuite - again, perhaps depending on an Ant property.

Basically I want to be sure here that we are talking about a logical
separation of the tests using Ant and JUnit techniques and not a
physical separation of files in the file system.

Best regards,
George