harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: So today Sun announced...
Date Thu, 18 May 2006 17:20:25 GMT

Leo Simons wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 10:46:55AM -0700, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>
>> So, while many of us knew that Sun will OSS Java eventually, it's still
>> good news, and it's nice to see that the Java ecosystem is moving slowly
>> but surely to openness :)
>
> Good on them! You know, 2 years ago I would've pretty much jumped up and
> down a little and I'd have gone "whoohooh!".
>
> But, looking at how harmony is doing and where its going, and also at how
> classpath&friends are doing and where they're going, the statement that
> the question to ask is not an "if" is just old news for me. *We* know that
> already and I think we've been doing real well to get the "how" figured out,
> leaving only "when" as The Big Question.
>
> Here's hoping that this Rich Green fellow comes and asks us the "how"
> question, though I hope he's been listening closely already :-)

He's a smart guy.  I suspect that he already knows what he's going to do.

> In the meantime, lets keep up doing a great job!

I want to add one thing.  There *is* something subtly significant here -
Sun is now committed to do this.  We all knew they had to OSS Java at
some point, but Sun still had to recognize this and make this first
official step.

Jonathan Schwartz has said this before, but not as the CEO, and that is
what makes this a major step, to me anyway.

geir