harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM] build process improvement
Date Thu, 18 May 2006 15:24:31 GMT
Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
>> We would not want to couple the classlib to a particular VM however. So
>> far I have been thinking
>> about the HDK from a classlib perspective, without considering the VM
>> used. I imagined that any
>> developer who used a classlib HDK would just grab a VM snapshot (or the
>> IBM VME) and overlay
>> that onto the classlib HDK in the same way we overlay the VME onto
>> deploy now.
>
> Well, may be I'm missing some simple points here, but...
> Is there any specific reason not to bundle a "Harmony VM" (let's
> forget about DRLVM for now) into the HDK? Is this just a matter of
> choice between SableVM, drlvm, e.t.c.?
> I just thought it could be convenient for developers (as well as for
> Harmony users) to take a complete workable JRE without an additional
> need to combine something together.

I agree it would be useful to have a complete jre available, but I
wasn't sure
how we would pick the VM to use when we potentially have 3/4 VMs
(if DRLVM is accepted, and once the classlib adapter is completed)
capable of
running with Harmony classlib.

Perhaps we could just produce a jre for each VM once they are up and
working?
I just thought that if we had separate classlib and a VM jre's which
both contained
a predefined and matching directory structure, then the step of
unpacking them
into the same directory to get them working is fairly straightforward.

Regards,
Oliver

> Thank you,
> Andrey Chernyshev
> Intel Middleware Products Division
>
> On 5/18/06, Oliver Deakin <oliver.deakin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Mark Hindess wrote:
>> > On 18 May 2006 at 14:36, "Alexey Petrenko"
>> <alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com>

>> > Of course.
>> >

>> We would not want to couple the classlib to a particular VM however. So
>> far I have been thinking
>> about the HDK from a classlib perspective, without considering the VM
>> used. I imagined that any
>> developer who used a classlib HDK would just grab a VM snapshot (or the
>> IBM VME) and overlay
>> that onto the classlib HDK in the same way we overlay the VME onto
>> deploy now.
>>
>> I suggested in the "Supporting working on a single module?" thread
>> (sorry, no link - it's not in the
>> archives yet) that a Harmony VM could produce releases in a jre or jdk
>> layout. This
>> would allow a Classlib developer to grab an HDK and overlay the VM jre
>> bundle onto it,
>> but at the same time an actual Harmony runtime user could grab a
>> classlib jdk/jre snapshot and
>> combine it with the same VM.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Oliver