harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM] build process improvement
Date Thu, 18 May 2006 11:45:52 GMT

Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 18 May 2006 at 14:36, "Alexey Petrenko" <alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> 2006/5/18, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com>:
>>
>>> I was assuming that the HDK for the classlib would not contain
>>> any VM specific artifacts.  If it did, which VM artifacts would
>>> it contain SableVM, drlvm, etc. or all of them?  (Of course, the
>>> classlib hdk will contain the VM stubs that the classlib build uses
>>> today.)
>>>
>> But we need to run the classlib on some machine.
>>

> Of course.

We would not want to couple the classlib to a particular VM however. So
far I have been thinking
about the HDK from a classlib perspective, without considering the VM
used. I imagined that any
developer who used a classlib HDK would just grab a VM snapshot (or the
IBM VME) and overlay
that onto the classlib HDK in the same way we overlay the VME onto
deploy now.

I suggested in the "Supporting working on a single module?" thread
(sorry, no link - it's not in the
archives yet) that a Harmony VM could produce releases in a jre or jdk
layout. This
would allow a Classlib developer to grab an HDK and overlay the VM jre
bundle onto it,
but at the same time an actual Harmony runtime user could grab a
classlib jdk/jre snapshot and
combine it with the same VM.

Regards,
Oliver