harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: So today Sun announced...
Date Wed, 17 May 2006 20:38:22 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Fernando Cassia wrote:

>>> If licenses are irrelevant, the Harmony project is a waste of time as
>>> well.
>>
>> Sorry, I meant it's a waste of time to devote time -at least for me- to
>> mailing list discussions and flame wars trying to discuss "interpretations
>> of the license". It's better and more productive to send all feedback
>> directly to Sun, instead of trying to guess what something might or might
>> not mean in the legal text.
>
> Discussion on Debian shipping sun-java5 does not belong here.
>
> GNU/Linux distros shipping a certified java virtual machine is a good
> thing for the java ecosystem also because it will make the entire java
> package management ecosystem do a quantum leap forward.
>
> But as I mentioned before, this is still irrelevant as far as open-java
> efforts because the JRE/JDK source code is not available and cannot be
> modified and redistributed, even if it passes the TCK tests.
>
> Sun's new CEO has announced that the question is not 'when' but 'how'
> Sun will license their code under an OSI-compatible license.
>
> Well, we have a "how" to propose (donate the code to the ASF and let
> Harmony take care of that) what I want to hear in public is why that
> doesn't work for Sun.

Because I don't believe that "how" is a question they don't have the
start of an answer for.

I don't believe that Rich Green never thought about this before being
asked by Jonathan on stage, and really was hoping for input from us.  I
expect they know exactly what we'd suggest.

That said, the door is always open - we'd be happy to consider a
contribution from Sun :)

geir