harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Supporting working on a single module?
Date Wed, 17 May 2006 12:36:08 GMT
Ive just opened HARMONY-469 which contains a patch to rearrange the
current layout
of the deploy directory into:

deploy/
   \----jdk
           |----include
           \----jre

This is a preliminary step to reorganising the native code and using the
deploy directory
as an HDK (as discussed else where in this topic [1] & [2]).

If/when this patch is accepted and applied, there are a couple of issues
that may affect
us that I thought would be worth bringing to general attention:

1) The IBM VME is laid out to unpack with the same directory structure as
the current deploy directory i.e. it overlays into
deploy/jre/bin/default. If there is a new
jdk directory added into the structure, then the VME will no longer
unpack into the
right place, which might confuse new developers hoping to try out our
code. I am
currently working on making a VME which reflects the new layout
available, and I will
send a note to the list once it is ready (this would be after
HARMONY-469 was
applied).
Developers that are already using a VME in their workspace will simply
need to move
the deploy/jre/bin/default directory to deploy/jdk/jre/bin/default.

2) I was wondering how this change will affect the DRLVM? I notice from
building
the VM locally that it produces a deploy\jre\bin structure, so I imagine
that some
small path changes to build scripts would be necessary (similar to the
changes I
had to make in HARMONY-469).

Regards,
Oliver