harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject So today Sun announced...
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 17:46:55 GMT
I was at the J1 keynote this morning hoping to hear news about Sun
open-sourcing Java.

First, they announced some kind of distribution-like agreement with
Ubuntu, so that any Debian-based distro can easily install Java.  It
wasn't clear if they really are going to distribute Ubuntu w/ Java or
just make it easy to install via apt.  I guess it's a new license for
their binaries.  This is good news - one of the motivations of Harmony
was to help make Java a first-class citizen on Linux, and this is a
solid step in that direction.

Second.... I'm not sure how to describe this.  When Jonathan Schwartz
(the CEO of Sun) asked Rich Green (the new EVP of software) if he was
going to open-source Java, the answer was "the question isn't if, but
how..." (or something like that)

I suppose that means they have made some sort of decision to do it, but
have no idea how or when.

So, while many of us knew that Sun will OSS Java eventually, it's still
good news, and it's nice to see that the Java ecosystem is moving slowly
but surely to openness :)

geir