harmony-dev mailing list archives

From George Harley <george.c.har...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Layout of tests in crypto module
Date Mon, 15 May 2006 22:29:11 GMT
Hi Mikhail,

I have a couple of minor comments about your proposal for a test
layouts. I should have responded sooner, I know, but I have suffered
from a number of hardware problems in the past few weeks that slowed
things down somewhat for me. Anyway, it's all great but it would be nice
to get answers to the following ...

1) The section on "Location of the tests in the directory tree"
proposes <modulename>/src/tests/impl for Harmony specific tests and
<modulename>/src/tests/api for implementation-independent tests. Where
would tests go for Harmony API's that are not part of the J2SE spec but
are still accessible ? Strictly speaking they are API as well as being
specific to Harmony. What about the location of tests designed to run on
the classpath and tests designed to run on the bootclasspath ? That does
not seem to be addressed in this section. When the tests are run how are
the "bootclasspath" and "classpath" tests distinguished ? Purely on
package name ? Did you ever see the append I wrote to the list a couple
of weeks ago on this topic ? [1]

2) Still in the "Location of the tests in the directory tree" section,
shouldn't the suggested source folder names include "java" in there ?
e.g. <modulename>/src/tests/java/api ? What is wrong with the
src/test/java (below here is Java code), src/test/resources (below here
is non-code test artefacts) convention ? I notice that at present the
page does not include any mention of where test resources would go.

3) What does the sentence "Tests are not separated by functionality
under test, e.g. tests against clone() methods are not separated from
tests against equals() methods" actually mean ?

Best regards,
George

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200604.mbox/%3c4450A1CC.1060803@googlemail.com%3e