harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Supporting working on a single module?
Date Mon, 15 May 2006 12:57:14 GMT
Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
>> I was thinking that platform specific directories would be laid out
>> underneath each native
>> component directory. So, for example, underneath the
>> modules/luni/src/main/native/port
>> directory there would be the following structure (avoiding ascii tree
>> diagrams):
>>
>>  modules/luni/src/main/native/port/shared
>>  modules/luni/src/main/native/port/linux
>>  modules/luni/src/main/native/port/windows
>>
>> with further platform specific directories being added as we expand.
>
> Yes, I was thinking about that too, but didn't mention :).
> I remember there was a discussion about this sometime in the past [1],
> it looked like most people agreed at that time that keeping OSes &
> platforms as the directory names is the preferred choice.

Yes, I think you're right. At the moment the layout is quite simple
since we only have
two platforms.

When we start to expand our platform list, I believe the layout that you
linked in [1] is
suitably descriptive and simple to use, with directory names
incorporating OS as the
first level of code specialization and architecture the second,
separated by an underscore.
I envisage that eventually we might have a layout similar to (hope this
diagram
works - all subdirs under <component> are at the same level):

modules/<module>/src/main/native/<component>/

|----------shared/

|----------aix/

|----------linux/

|----------linux_amd/