harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Supporting working on a single module?
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 09:10:19 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Nathan Beyer wrote:
>> Perhaps this is a bit of an aside, but one of the biggest difficulties I
>> have when trying to develop against a single module is the
>> availability of
>> the test support classes. Currently, I run the ant build and run the
>> 'compile-support' to build the test support classes. Then in Eclipse, I
>> create a linked folder to the 'build/tests' in the module I'm working
>> on and
>> then add that folder to the classpath of the project.
>>
>> As such, I would like to propose adding a packaging of the support
>> classes
>> to a JAR in the build scripts and include this as part of the discussed
>> snapshots.
>
> There was a related dropped thread.

Mea culpa.

> Why not setup a second jar and manifest per module so that the manifests
> are clean and our test jars and separate from code jars?

Yep, that is the 'right' thing to do (I was just too scared to suggest
it given the number of key-stokes generated by test package naming
discussions!).

The tests would normally go into a separate module that imports the
module under test (MUT :-) ).  For impl tests there may be a helper
module (declared as a fragment) to export some behavior of the MUT that
is not normally exported.

Regards,
Tim

--