harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Exception throwing compatibility
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 09:01:33 GMT
Nathan Beyer wrote:
<snip>
> What is the value in changing the 1 method that throws
> StringIndexOutOfBoundsException to ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException? According
> to the compatibility guidelines, first and foremost we follow the
> specification. The documented exception (no pun intended) to this rule is
> when the specification is "silent ... [or] is clearly illogical". The
> specification is not silent in this case, nor is it illogical and the
> current code implements the specification.
>
> Am I interpreting the guidelines incorrectly? If not and there is still a
> urge to have this changed, then what would the suggested change to the
> guidelines be?

I just wrote what I thought made best sense <g>.  Everyone should feel
free to suggest patches to the doc too.

I tried to capture the situation in the following sentence wrt exceptions:

"Harmony class library code should throw exceptions of the same type as
the RI, other than in cases where the RI throws non-public types
whereupon Harmony will throw an exception with the same public supertype."

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)