harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Supporting working on a single module?
Date Tue, 09 May 2006 21:01:50 GMT

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Chris Gray wrote:
>> On Tuesday 09 May 2006 22:03, Etienne Gagnon wrote:
>>> Yes.  But only by checking out everything.
>>>
>>> I am developing a API "stubs" project, which is a full "stubs"
>>> implementation of the Java 1.5 API.  My objective was actually to allow
>>> for not needing an API "implementation" to compile code against the API.
>>>  I was planning to use this, among other uses, for compiling SableVM's
>>> luni-kernel implementation.
>> For what my opinion is worth (on a good day, a cup of coffee, but not at Caffè
>> Florian), this would be an excellent thing to have. It will never be easy to
>> work on the core Java APIs in a totally modular way (because Sun didn't
>> design things that way), but with such a set of stubs one could at least work
>> on a group of classes in isolation and be able to compile them to bytecode.
>> Furthermore the stubs can readily be used for white-box testing during
>> development, by simply adding println()s. Go for it!
>
> I disagree -- we spent a good period of time last summer carving up the
> class library into modules defined by Java and internal APIs.  I believe
> it would be detrimental to disregard these boundaries by compiling
> against the entire Java APIs, as that would perpetuate the 'spaghetti
> code syndrome'.

Aside :  there's no harm in a "rt.jar" created from our modules.  Are
modules are there for development convenience?  it's plausible that
we'll have a monolithic classlib distro as well as the modular one, right?

> We could use compile-against stubs, but would also need them for the
> org.apache.* packages that comprise our internal APIs, for now I see no
> problem with using the actual JARs that we produce.

I guess the question for me, now that I thought about it longer, is
where would we use the separate stub library?  I can see us filling in
our blanks w/ stubs for whatever reason (totally fooling JAPI :) and
getting people to flesh those out...

geir