harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Supporting working on a single module?
Date Tue, 09 May 2006 20:34:59 GMT

Chris Gray wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 May 2006 22:03, Etienne Gagnon wrote:
>> Yes.  But only by checking out everything.
>>
>> I am developing a API "stubs" project, which is a full "stubs"
>> implementation of the Java 1.5 API.  My objective was actually to allow
>> for not needing an API "implementation" to compile code against the API.
>>  I was planning to use this, among other uses, for compiling SableVM's
>> luni-kernel implementation.
>
> For what my opinion is worth (on a good day, a cup of coffee, but not at Caffè
> Florian), this would be an excellent thing to have. It will never be easy to
> work on the core Java APIs in a totally modular way (because Sun didn't
> design things that way), but with such a set of stubs one could at least work
> on a group of classes in isolation and be able to compile them to bytecode.
> Furthermore the stubs can readily be used for white-box testing during
> development, by simply adding println()s. Go for it!

1) I wonder if we could just add those println's w/ AOP since we're
fundamentally lazy.

2) Could we mechanically create the stubs, rather than having a parallel
source tree?  One might argue that you could generate such a stub by
transforming the spec javadoc to code....  no muss, no fuss, and darn
quick...

geir