harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [prayer] to the Eclipse Foundation
Date Fri, 05 May 2006 09:25:50 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Nathan Beyer wrote:
>> I may be a bit naïve in regards to such things, but would it be
>> possible to
>> create our own stripped down compiler package? My thought is that we
>> could
>> just checkout the appropriate JDT code from Eclipse's CVS server,
>> build only
>> the classes necessary and create a wee JAR.
>>

> I'd prefer not if we don't have to,

I'd also prefer not to where we can download directly, but in this case
it appears that we cannot.

> because we don't create
> distributions of software unless we host the source and can account for
> it's provenance.

That's not my understanding, and is certainly not the case at present
(ICU, ZLib, FDLibm, etc.)

Cliff's draft policy on third-party code [1] specifically allows
redistributing binary versions of EPL code in Apache products, with
certain requirements such that we provide clear references to that
code's source.

[1] http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

>> I'm guessing that the big concern would be legal ramifications, but
>> I'm not
>> familiar enough with the various licenses to know.
>
> Yep
>

>> Obviously this puts Harmony in the business of managing more stuff,
>> but it
>> might help things out in the short-term. Perhaps such an example could be
>> posted to Eclipse with a bug to help the cause.
>
> I'm hoping they just can distribute the jars we (and others) need
> separately.

That would be good, but where they cannot/will not then I think we can
redistribute in product.

Regards,
Tim

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)