harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: DRLVM contribution - try this out!
Date Fri, 05 May 2006 02:19:03 GMT

Leo Simons wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 04:50:28PM -0700, Rana Dasgupta wrote:
>>   We should probably hold off on patching right now?
>
> I don't see why you can't attach patches to the relevant jira issue, if the
> code is accepted then its likely the patch will be, too :-)

Personally, I'd prefer that new JIRAs are created and linked to the
original submission issue, because then we can accept and close JIRAs
atomically.

We ran into a problem when patches to patches were attached to the same
JIRA, and it becomes a bit confusing to try and figure out which is
right from the comments.

It's much cleaner to say "This patch replaced the patch in HARMONY-XYZ"
rather than "this patch replaces the other one I did before I submitted
the extra build file" or whatever...

> Patch management is going to be hard if there's a lot of patches, but that's
> just further incentive to get things integrated more quickly ;-)
>
>>   The submission compiles and runs fine with XP V2, msvc VC7 and with SUSE
>> 9.2 and GCC 3.3.4.
>>   We should pick the Linux/GCC version that we  run Harmony builds
>> regularly on and make all the changes in one shot to fix the compile on
>> that. Has this version already been identified?
>
> Hmm. I think the key is in making the buildsystem and the code aware of
> the linux/gcc version and adapt behaviour based on that.
>
>>> Is it ok to attach patch here or should I use JIRA?
>
> In general sending patches through the mailing list is not all that bad, but
> the people integrating code (eg, Tim :-)) do seem to prefer to use JIRA, so
> after talking about things on the list, adding them to jira does make sense.

Yep - JIRA makes it much easier to track and search and know status.

geir