harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] metadata-fest
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 20:30:53 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> [ If you don't know/care about either OSGi manifests or Eclipse, then
>> don't worry, you can ignore this note -- just continue as you are. ]
>>

>> I'm going through the module manifests and putting in some explicit
>> imports to satisfy the requirements of the tests within a module.
>>
>> Since this means that a module will now 'import' (depend upon) a package
>> only because a test case uses it, I'm marking such imports in the
>> manifest as 'optional' -- this means that the same manifest can be used
>> in development and in the JARs that we deploy at runtime (which don't
>> contain the test code).  The alternative would have been to move test
>> code out into a separate module but I'm NOT going there!
>
> That makes sense.
>

>> Similarly, where a module manifest exports a package only to satisfy
>> somebody else's test code, it is done with a mandatory attribute to show
>> why it is being imported.
>
> :/
>
> What's the downside?

Clutter in the manifests.

> It doesn't matter now, but in the future, should
> we consider having the manifests assembled as part of the build based on
> target?  Talking out of my hat, it sounds like each breaks into two
> parts, a 'manifest base' and 'manifest test' or -ish...

Component-based tools work on whole manifests, so unless we wanted to do
it all manually or roll our own then having bona fide manifests makes sense.
As above, breaking it into two parts can be done by making the impl and
tests separate components with separate manifests.

>> I'll also commit updates Eclipse metadata (.project and .classpath
>> files) for our modules, for those people who want to follow along.
>
> Common custom is to keep that kind of thing out of SVN but I realize
> that as Eclipse is such a bear to set up....  ;)

Ack, the saving grace is that this data is kept out of the way (i.e.
there are no mark-ups in the .java files etc. that people will regularly
see).

Regards,
Tim

--