harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Testing
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 04:25:02 GMT
Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> Did everybody agree to:

I think so -- I just need to clarify some terminology I think...

> 1. Tests are separated on directory level by 'intention'

I agree where the intention is broad (i.e. functional tests vs.
performance tests vs. stress tests) but I'm not convinced that we need
to separate to a precise 'intent', at least I've never been in a
position where I've wished that my my serialization tests are separate
from my cloning tests or whatever.

The problem I see is that trying to represent too many different
classifications in a test's directory/file name leads to complex naming
rules and eventually ambiguity or duplication when tests cross those
classification groups.  So I'd like to keep it simple.

I do agree that we should separate tests that we expect to run on any
compliant Java implementation from those that are Harmony specific.

> src/tests/
>          + impl/
>          + compliant/

Just a minor nit -- we may choose to call these 'api' tests just to be
very clear that we are not defining or modifying the meaning of
'compliant' (which is the role of the JCK).

>          + etc [might be stress, exotic, or something else]/

We would create new directories as we need them, right?

>          \ resources/  -- as they are
>
> Note: inside 'intention' directory they might be further separated e.g
> by platform

In fact, we should allow for some autonomy within a module too.  There
will be a different balance between the types of tests that are required
for, say, LUNI and those for RMI that mean the structure may not suit
every module equally well.

> 2. 'Bootclasspath' tests are in the same package as implementation

Yes -- where do these appear in the layout?

> 3. 'classpath' tests against 'public packages' go to
> org.apache.harmony.module.tests.<public package name>
>
> note: public package name is not necessary in the java.* or javax.*
> example: org.ietf.jgss

Yes.

> 4. 'classpath' tests against org.apache.harmony.module.<rest of the name>
> classes go to
> org.apache.harmony.module.tests.<rest of the name>

Yes.

Thanks for working through this Mikhail -- I feel that we are converging
on a good solution.

Would you be able to put together a (proposed) document describing this
on the classlib website?

Regards,
Tim

--