harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Acceptance of HARMONY-114 : rough draft of files that glue Harmony Class Lib to JCHEVM native methods
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 02:43:19 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> I agree. How about "classlibadapter/trunk" -> "adapter/gnu/trunk"?
>
> I'd keep it specific to classlib yet simple and mimic the classlib
> structure with
>
>    classlibadapter/trunk/module/gnu
>
> or something.

OK... although I'm not sure what purpose the "module" part serves.
We can of course always insert it later.

>> Now next questions... let's talk about how we want to build and
>> package this. It looks like basically we need to build two things,
>> (a) a ZIP/JAR file containing the adapter classes, and (b) a native
>> libarary for java.io.File.
>>
>> #1. It's possible to get rid of (b) because Classpath already contains
>>     native libraries that implement java.io.File functionality.
>
> Classpath?  The assumption here is that you don't need to have GNU
> Classpath, right?

Argh, my apologies, for some reason I was thinking completely backwards.
Ignore most of what I said :-)

We don't need Classpath to build and it won't be available at runtime
of course. We could do that, but then that kindof defeats the whole
purpose... I think I was imagining this on my laptop which has Classpath
but that would be a special case...

We will be providing VMFoo classes that define the same API to the
VM that Classpath does. Essentially we'll have replacements for all of
Classpath's vm/reference classes, plus the glue that goes on top of
that to hook it all up to classlib.

Hope that makes more sense...

-Archie