harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Acceptance of HARMONY-114 : rough draft of files that glue Harmony Class Lib to JCHEVM native methods
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 02:03:49 GMT

Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Weldon Washburn wrote:
>> Thanks for getting this entered into SVN so quickly.  I did a quick
>> check and it looks like you grabbed the most recent version.  By the
>> way, the directory structure is still somewhat ambiguous.  I keep
>> thinking we may want to put .../gnu.../... in the tree to distinguish
>> this specific adapter.   The reason is that someday someone may want
>> to build an adapter for a non-GNU class library.  It would be nice to
>> get this kind of directory organization sorted out now.  Making mods
>> to the directory structure at a later date probably means hardcoded
>> makefiles will need to be changed.
>
> I agree. How about "classlibadapter/trunk" -> "adapter/gnu/trunk"?

I'd keep it specific to classlib yet simple and mimic the classlib
structure with

    classlibadapter/trunk/module/gnu

or something.

> Now next questions... let's talk about how we want to build and
> package this. It looks like basically we need to build two things,
> (a) a ZIP/JAR file containing the adapter classes, and (b) a native
> libarary for java.io.File.
>
> #1. It's possible to get rid of (b) because Classpath already contains
>     native libraries that implement java.io.File functionality.

Classpath?  The assumption here is that you don't need to have GNU
Classpath, right?

  However,
>     because classlib has native methods in java.io.File (instead of VMFile
>     adapter classes) this would mean writing our own File implementation,
>     which would involve copying (and tracking changes to) the classlib
>     version, so this is probably not a good option. For now, we'll leave
>     it as is but that's an option that's out there. Perhaps eventually
>     we can get classlib to either add a VMFile class or else implement
>     java.io.File itself... any thoughts from classlib hackers?
>
> #2. Should the build just produce a distribution subtree in dist/ similar
>     to the way classlib builds, or should it use automake, etc. and
>     support a "make install" target? I'd prefer the latter. That way we
>     can have a standard install location, e.g. we'd install under
>     /usr/local/harmony/adapter/gnu or something. This would faciliate
>     VM's that want to make it easy to use the adapter because it would
>     always be in a known location. If you like this idea then I can add
>     all the configure and automake magic, replacing the "doit.sh" scripts.
>     This will aid portability as well, especially because we can use
>     libtool for #1. The auto* stuff should be simple because we won't
>     be doing anything very unusual.

Whoa.  Does GNU Classpath install into /usr/local/whatever?

I think you don't want to assume an install location...

> #3. I think we'll need to have Classpath installed to do the build.

GNU Classpath?  Why?

>     It's standard location is /usr/local/classpath. That way we can
>     compile our adapter classes with javac against all the VMFoo classes
>     that they will delegate to. I can add a "--with-classpath=DIR" flag
>     to ./configure to make this location configurable.

I'm missing something - the idea here is that GNU Classpath isn't
nearby, isn't it?

geir